The Triple Crown Centre is uncompromising in its ambition to consistently improve outcomes for all students.

Staff work tirelessly to meet the needs of all our young people, ensuring students who have special needs and/or disabilities make progress in line with, or improving towards, other students with the same starting points.

Termly meetings with Parents are held to discuss all aspects of the students’ progress and additional needs.

We also work with various agencies to provide continued support for all our students regardless of their disability or educational need.

  • Our Special Educational Needs Coordinator is Ms. Harvi Ghudhail
  • Our SEND Governor is Mrs Julie Hackett

What types of SEN do we provide for?

We have experience in providing education and support for students with a wide range of Additional needs including:

  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs (SEMH)
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Visual Impairment
  • Moderate Learning Difficulties (MLD)
  • Dyslexia
  • Dyspraxia
  • Other specific Learning difficulties
  • Physical Disability

How do we identify and assess students with SEN?

All our students have an identified additional need on entry. We can use the following methods to identify further needs:

  • information on transfer documents
  • attendance data analysis
  • academic data analysis
  • by Subject Teacher/ Achievement Mentor
  • parental information and involvement
  • student self- referral

Who is our special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and how can he/she be contacted?

Ms Harvi Ghudhail
Phone: 0121-709-0080 extension 17

What is our approach to teaching students with SEN?

We expect all students to participate in all areas of school life with reasonable adjustments being made, if necessary, for individuals. All of our teachers are teachers of children with SEN.

How do we adapt the curriculum and learning environment?



  • Have the opportunity to study a broad curriculum
  • Study accredited GCSE courses in Key Stage 4
  • Can have specific arrangements made for examinations if required 

Access Arrangements

  • If students require Access Arrangements for exams they are tested in advance of their first GCSE exam by a suitably qualified specialist professional.
  • The students are tested using the WIAT-T-II (a comprehension and reading accuracy test). The Single Word Spelling Test and, if appropriate, the DASH handwriting test (looking at speed and legibility).
  • Usually students who are granted access arrangements have extra time. We may also apply for child specific arrangements such as enlarged papers.

Learning environment

Students are:

  • taught in small groups
  • supported through appropriately differentiated lessons and resources
  • supported in-class where appropriate 

How do we enable students with SEN to engage in activities with other students who do not have SEN?

All students are given wider opportunities to meet other students via offsite educational experiences.

How do we consult parents of students with SEN and involve them in their child’s education?

We welcome and encourage parents/carers to work collaboratively with us in order to provide the very best outcomes for all our young people. Parents are very welcome to come into school to discuss any aspect of their child’s education. It is helpful if an appointment can be made so that we are able to devote the appropriate length of time to the meeting. All students have Achievement Mentors who know them well.  This is the person to contact in the first instance.
All parents/Carers are invited to parental consultation meetings. Parents/Carers can also contact the SENCO who can be contacted by phone or email.
Our aim is for parents and relevant services to join us in discussing appropriate support for every student at the centre.
If your child has an Education Health Care Plan  you will be invited in for your child's formal Annual Review once a year.
We routinely act upon feedback from parents and gather this information via parental questionnaires, parents evening and meetings.

How do we consult students with SEN and involve them in their education?

Students are regularly asked for their views and opinions via questionnaires, individual meetings with mentors and teachers and via the student council.

How do we assess and review students’ progress towards their outcomes?

All student’s progress is tracked and monitored regularly against national and school expectations as well as their individual targets. If concerns are raised about the rate of progress, interventions will be implemented by the class teacher in the first instance.

Individual sessions with the Achievement Mentor to discuss targets for students will be at the beginning of each term.  Their progress is monitored continuously and formally discussed on a half termly basis.

How do we support students moving between different phases of education?

Coming into TCC:

Prior to being admitted to The Triple Crown Centre, students and parents are invited to visit the school and an agreed plan will be devised to support their transfer during the interview.  Information is used from parents, the LA, the previous school and support services.

Towards the end of KS3, parents and students are encouraged to consider the curriculum offer for a range of schools to establish whether TCC can offer a suitable KS4 provision.

Moving from TCC (to another school):

Once it has been agreed, in consultation with parents, LA and the receiving school, then a transition plan is drawn up.  The plan ensures that the students will be supported to ensure that the transition runs smoothly.

Post 16

All students receive independent careers advice to support their transition from school to their future education, employment or training.  The SENCO will liaise with other providers where necessary to ensure a smooth transition.

How do we support students preparing for adulthood?

The curriculum includes a focus on preparation for life.  This is also delivered though whole school assemblies and during weekly Achievement Mentor sessions.  For some students this also includes individually planned sessions.

How do we support students with SEN to improve their emotional and social development?

All students follow a curriculum which is tailored to individual needs where necessary.  Students are provided with extra pastoral support arrangements where necessary.  Students are encouraged to discuss concerns about any issues with a member of staff.

There are opportunities for them to develop their social skills through Achievement Mentor activities, contribution to assemblies and when participating in any off-site opportunities.

The SENCO has achieved the National SENCO Award.

Staff at the Triple Crown Centre all receive regular training to enhance our knowledge, awareness of needs and strategies for effectively meeting a range of additional needs.

This can take the form of:

  • bespoke whole day training
  • during our weekly staff meetings
  • as part of the local collaborative of schools
  • individual school visits to observe good practice

Staff have received the following training:

  • Autism Education Trust level 2 Training
  • Supporting Young People Using Cognitive Behavioural Approaches
  • Gender Development and Variance
  • Emotion coaching and metalisation
  • Tourette’s syndrome (via webinar & parent
  • Visual Impairment training
  • Hearing Impairment training
  • Hypermobility
  • First Aid
  • Effective deployment of Teaching and learning Assistants
  • Autism Education Trust Tier 3 Training for SENCO and Headteacher
  • Mental Health First Aid (SENCO and Teaching and Learning Support Assistant)

How will we secure specialist expertise?

There is regular liaison with a range of outside Agencies who offer advice, guidance and support.

These agencies include:

Solar (CYP Mental Health Service)

Specialist Inclusion Support Service

Community Educational Psychology Service

Specialist Assessment Service on 0121 722 8010

Occupational Therapy on 0121 722 8010

School Nurse via the School on 0121 709 0080

Independent Careers Service via the School on 0121 709 0080

How will we secure specialist expertise?

There is regular liaison with a range of outside Agencies who offer advice, guidance and support.

These agencies include:

Solar (CYP Mental Health Service)

Specialist Inclusion Support Service

Community Educational Psychology Service

Specialist Assessment Service on 0121 722 8010

Occupational Therapy on 0121 722 8010

School Nurse via the School on 0121 709 0080

Independent Careers Service on 0121 709 0080

How will we secure equipment and facilities to support students with SEN?

In order to meet the specific needs of students, The Triple Crown Centre has adapted parts of the building so that it is accessible for wheelchair users and those with complex physical needs.
For example:

  • The main building is on the ground floor, with no steps
  • Wheelchair access was taken into consideration during the designing and building of the Science Laboratory
  • There is a disabled toilet/washroom for students

Any additional resource requirements are established as the student is admitted to the school or through their regular review meetings.

The school, where possible, purchase additional equipment or has arranged for loan equipment from services or local schools.

How do we involve other organisations in meeting the needs of students with SEN and supporting their families?

Please see the information above (liaison with outside agencies).  Individual support is discussed at the termly review meetings and adjusted as necessary.

How do we evaluate the effectiveness of our SEN provision?

Students’ progress is informally discussed during staff briefings and continually monitored throughout the year.  The SENCO will conduct learning walks, student voice, student interviews and gather parent/carer views during meetings.  Progress is then formally analaysed each term.

Where necessary the support offered to individuals may be adapted or increased as a result of the analysis.

The Headteacher and the Management Board will formally evaluate the effectiveness of all aspects of provision during their scheduled meetings throughout the school year.

How do we handle complaints from parents of children with SEN about provision made at the school?

The majority of issues raised by parents, the community or students, are concerns rather than complaints.  The Triple Crown Centre is committed to taking concerns seriously, at the earliest stage, in the hope of keeping the number of formal complaints to a minimum and without needing formal procedures. However, depending on the nature of the complaint, you may wish or be asked to follow the school’s formal complaints procedure.

Who can young people and parents contact if they have concerns?

All students have Achievement Mentors who know them well. This is the person to contact in the first instance.

Parents can also contact the SENCO or Headteacher to discuss any concerns.

What support services are available to parents?

Solihull SENDIAS

Tel: 0121 516 5173



Disability information and advice line

Tel: 0121 770 0333



Solihull life opportunities

Tel: 01217793865 or 0121 647 1060




Tel: 0808 800 3333



Solihull Children's Community Therapies

Tel: 0121 722 8010

Autism west midlands

Helpline: 0121 450 7575



Where can the LA’s local offer be found? How have we contributed to it?

The Triple Crown Centre operates as a school for secondary age students unable to attend a mainstream educational experience due to medical needs. We are a specialist part of Solihull’s local offer.

The Triple Crown Centre
Tel: 0121 709 0080